Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want permission on my NTFS HD files and I get input and output errors, help me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I want permission on my NTFS HD files and I get input and output errors, help me

Quote Originally Posted by mamp View Post
    But I don't know how in the HD and partition setup you define permissions. If you have an article or link, I would appreciate it.
    See post #2. Link provided.

I'm inclined to move everything to EXT4 and leave a smaller transitional NTFS partition. I only use NTFS for what I use shared and when I return to Linux I switch to EXT4 and have more control over the files. What do you think. Laborious.
    a) I don't dual boot. I think it is a bad idea. Been burned badly a few times. I have network sharing setup on Linux that Windows can access.
    b) You can do whatever you like. It is your system. Heck, you ARE running MS-Windows on hardware (not inside a VM), which I wouldn't do either.

(I read something that you can try to read Windows files with EXT4 extensions only with little efficiency).
    You can try lots of things. That doesn't mean they work well. I've never bothered.

Beans

Re: I want permission on my NTFS HD files and I get input and output errors, help me

I have had the same impression.
    Microsoft has a package of evil things for users and no one notices.

MS has forced cloud packages to increase profitability but has access to all content made by users.
    Using artificial intelligence, no one makes me suspect that it takes advantage of having access to such files.
    (I discovered Windows logs, that MS was sending my entire files to her with telemetry support).

I feel like I used NTFS data HD well now it has prevented Linux from using it freely.

I'm inclined to go to EXT4 and not share it with Windows anymore. what a shame. And only use what I need, but it was great when I could use the same files on both operating systems, but MS is very aggressive with permissions.

Beans

Yeah, I've been feeling this. I thought about turning off Windows indexing.

but do you prefer EXT4 for your data? How do you share with Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

but do you prefer EXT4 for your data? How do you share with Windows?
    I don't store data on MS-Windows. I have 1 virtual machine used for taxes, stock investing, and business finances, nothing else. The data used by those programs is copied off ASAP.

I haven't read about any reports that MS and NTFS have changed storage stuff recently. I watch that sort of stuff. Most people would say that Unix is too picky about permissions, not NTFS.

Beans

ok I made changes to the HD after reading the comments from the links above.
    I left a 10% HD common NTFS partition created from scratch and owned by me.
    I believe rest EXT4 partition

In this partition, when auditing some files that were NTFS, I found traces of a virus or Windows itself trying to take ownership of my files.

When clicking on a file, properties and then calculations, I found files with encryption enabled HASH function (HMAC key). Some options activated. It was only possible when I left these files that were in NTFS on EXT4.

I'm thinking about using the command to remove all HMAC keys in all files when they have EXT4 and perhaps opting for Ubuntu Linux encryption.
    This way I will no longer run the risk of anyone trying to take my files.
    What do you think?

Beans

ok I made changes to the HD after reading the comments from the links above.
    I left a 10% HD common NTFS partition created from scratch and owned by me.
    I believe rest EXT4 partition

In this partition, when auditing some files that were NTFS, I found traces of a virus or Windows itself trying to take ownership of my files.

When clicking on a file, properties and then calculations, I found files with encryption enabled HASH function (HMAC key). Some options activated. It was only possible when I left these files that were in NTFS on EXT4.

I'm thinking about using the command to remove all HMAC keys in all files when they have EXT4 and perhaps opting for Ubuntu Linux encryption.
    This way I will no longer run the risk of anyone trying to take my files.
    What do you think?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Encryption only works when the encryption container is closed and the computer is powered off.

When the computer is on and the encrypted container is opened, normal file system risks to the data exist. So, in reality, encrypted data really only works when the computer is off, but it is up to us to ensure it is truly off, like during transport.

My rule is this. I use whole drive encryption on my laptops and when I leave the house or take the laptop with me outside the building it is currently in, I shut it down completely. No hibernation. No standby mode. 100% shutdown. Carrying a laptop between classrooms inside the same building, I would just put it into standby mode. It's all about risk mitigation. In my mind, the chances of the laptop being stolen between rooms in the same building aren't sufficient to require shutting it down, but leaving a building adds many more risks, hence the need, in my mind, to shutdown the computer. Since I lecture in only 1 building, it is even easier. If I'm headed to the car, shutdown the computer.

YMMV.

BTW, use LUKS encryption on Linux, nothing else. Pretty much all the others have data leak flaws in them or they aren't native to Linux and leave keys in RAM after the encryption container is opened. If you open, use, then close an encryption container, are you 100% certain that the keys to unlock it aren't still in RAM somewhere? I'm not.

Beans

Thanks. I will follow your suggestion.
    I also prefer to turn it off now it will be routine.

What do you think of what I intend:
    1. I'm removing my NTFS bakcup and switching to the EXT4 drive
    2. remove all hmac keys first
    3. 10% of NTFS share for common use Windows/Linux
    4. 90% EXT4 with LUKS encryption on Linux.

If you have any links or articles to guide how to use LUKS encryption, I would be grateful.

Beans

Unfortunately I detected a virus in Windows.
    I managed to isolate some .bat .ini files and text files that generated code.
    I saw that this files had a pattern of trying to get permissions from my files.
    I subscribed to Kaspersky antivirus, I sent at least 5 systematically detailed reports with contaminated files and my findings.
    I sent an antivirus scan to Kaspersky support that I ran on Linux, proving that there were viruses on Windows.
    Kaskpesky reduced it to saying that there was no virus and 6 months later he announced the discovery of a new virus that did exactly what he had described. Unfortunate..
    Now Windows only reduces applications that cannot be run on Linux, but nothing but on Windows. Vulnerable, fragile system. To make matters worse, I discovered that MS telemetry sent my files to MS even though I opted for privacy and did not send any type of information to MS.
    Okay, Linux is champion. Windows never again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks. I will follow your suggestion.
    I also prefer to turn it off now it will be routine.

What do you think of what I intend:
    1. I'm removing my NTFS bakcup and switching to the EXT4 drive
    2. remove all hmac keys first
    3. 10% of NTFS share for common use Windows/Linux
    4. 90% EXT4 with LUKS encryption on Linux.
    I have no opinion on this and certainly no expertise.

If you have any links or articles to guide how to use LUKS encryption, I would be grateful.
    During the install, there's a check box to enable encryption. check it. However, this will wipe the entire drive, so if you have only one HDD installed, anything on it will be wiped. I don't dual boot. I put other OSes inside virtual machines and have since around 2008 as a standard practice. At work, we were required to use VMs for all systems beginning around 2002, unless there were specific requirements AND proof that those requirements couldn't be met from a VM. I first started using VMs at work in 1998-ish, to run different versions of MS-Windows, usually with different native languages, as part of our testing setups. The first time I saw MS-Windows in Mandarin and Japanese was a bit odd. Latin-based languages wasn't too bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast